Huff n Puff Forums Forum Index Huff n Puff Forums
Support for people with interstitial lung disease
View next topic
View previous topic
Renee

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

A tumor has been found on my Dad's lung without fibrosis, the doctor recommended removing the entire lung with the tumor. The other lung has fibrosis. My Dad declined the surgery, chemo & radiation have been scheduled. He has been a non smoker for over 20 years. Has anyone else experienced a tumor or tumors as well as IPF? Crying or Very sad

Stable as of March 2007.
Update: March 2010 tumor found Chemo.
April My Dad is fighting for his life.
May 2 2010 My Dad lost his battle to IPF
Renee

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Update: April 2010 Radiation has inflamed the fibrosis and the fibrosis has spread completely in both lungs. The damn tumor has shrunk. My Dad is fighting for his life the past two days in ICU, he is on life support but stable and is completely sedated.
This disease SUCKS and I am so PISSED! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Mad

Stable as of March 2007.
Mary J.

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Renee, I am so sorry that your Dad is fighting for his life. I'm also sorry no one could answer the first question for you before he did the radition, nobody on H&P must have dealt with the tumor and IPF, together. Even if someone had these two together, IPF is so rare that the doctors don't know what to do and maybe they figured if they treated the tumor at least it might help your Dad some. I don't know either Renee but each of us has to pick a path of treatment or to not do treatment. I will be praying for your Dad, you and family in the days to come. Please keep us posted, we all care!!! MaryJ.

Mary JLM-UIP/IPF-Jan.2008 / Fibromyalgia / Osteoporosis / IBS / Gerd /--- 1 Cor 14:13--Three things will last forever; Faith-Hope-Love and the greatest of these is LOVE!!!
mouser

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

I do not know about this happening together. However, there is a genetic link in both diseases. IPF and the kind of cancer that is not associated with smoking.
I have a huge family history of cancer and I have been told that when that happens it is an immune problem. We all have abnormal cells that we fight off unless we have an immune problem.
I am convinced that stress takes a toll. My husband has not not progressed in almost 6 years and I think it is because we keep our life as stress free as possible.
I am so sad that you all are going through such a bad problem and know there is nothing that can make it all go away.

My best wishes for all of you in making this be the best that can happen.

Mouser
Mary J.

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Beth, I agree with you that stress plays a huge roll in this IPF disease. As a nurse do you think the dr's get that? MaryJ.

Mary JLM-UIP/IPF-Jan.2008 / Fibromyalgia / Osteoporosis / IBS / Gerd /--- 1 Cor 14:13--Three things will last forever; Faith-Hope-Love and the greatest of these is LOVE!!!
pat

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

there is a form of lung cancer that is seen in people with IPF. It is called Brochio avelar carcinoma (BAC) Not sure I have that spelled right.
Pat

Mrs. W

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Renee
I just wanted to say that I'm praying for you. Your dad sure has a good daughter who cares for him so much. He is blessed.
Love you and sending a hug for you both.
Pam

pjd1957

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Sorry for resurecting an old topic.
I'm currently a 54 year old male that was diagnosed with IPF in May 2010, went through the standard preliminary tests (CT scan, PFT. labs ...). In July of that year had a VAT biop; to everyone's surprise they happened to find a small sample of NAC in the biop! After getting second opinions in Boston, and other consultation, it was decided that they believe that they extracted the entire cancer; however they were concerned about other "nodules". Since then we have been monitoring my lungs with CT scans every 6 months and so far there have been no changes or new growths in my lungs (my 6 month PFT's have been stable also). So, things are looking relativley good for now.
Renee

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

pjd1957 wrote:
Sorry for resurecting an old topic.
I'm currently a 54 year old male that was diagnosed with IPF in May 2010, went through the standard preliminary tests (CT scan, PFT. labs ...). In July of that year had a VAT biop; to everyone's surprise they happened to find a small sample of NAC in the biop! After getting second opinions in Boston, and other consultation, it was decided that they believe that they extracted the entire cancer; however they were concerned about other "nodules". Since then we have been monitoring my lungs with CT scans every 6 months and so far there have been no changes or new growths in my lungs (my 6 month PFT's have been stable also). So, things are looking relativley good for now.

Good evening, I never read this message. How are you today?

Stable as of March 2007.
mouser

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

So glad you came. This is exactly why i hoped we could keep this site viable. The CT scans pick up a lot. Sounds like you received a mini miracle.
All of these findings cause a lot of anxiety. My husband was given 3-5 years to live after being diagnosed with IPF. It has been 9 years and he has minimum progression. However, he had agent orange exposure in Vietnam and has Parkinson and heart disease. We discovered we could not worry about the right things. Parkinson has caused brain damage.
We got the best medical care that is possible and leave the rest to God
Good Luck
Mouser
pjd1957

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Renee - Sorry for taking so long to respond (I guess it's been a long time since I've been on this site). To answer your question: after finding BAC in my VATS biopsy in July 2010 I had been monitored with CT scans for 3 years without determining an changes to the nodes they were monitoring, the oncologists decided that it was unlikely that they were cancer but we're probably the fibrosis.
As far as my IPF is concerned, the progression has been slow, until 10 to 12 months ago. I was working about 32 hours/week, my pulmonary function has now diminished to the point where 10-12 hours/week is a struggle; I am now on SS disability.
I'm so lucky to have a great wife to help take care of me. We are starting to make plans to move out of our 2 story house to find a smaller single story house.
I hope that your dad is doing Ok.

View next topic
View previous topic