Huff n Puff Forums Forum Index Huff n Puff Forums
Support for people with interstitial lung disease
View next topic
View previous topic
Greg
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

A quiet revolution in the world of lung transplants is saving the lives of people who, just two years ago, would have died on the waiting list.

In the past 16 months, waits have shortened, lists have shrunk and the number of lung transplants has gone up. Further improvements are expected this year.

The changes have all but erased the need for transplants from live donors desperate, last-ditch operations requiring two donors per patient, usually relatives and friends who risk major surgery in hopes of rescuing a loved one whose time is running out.

Its almost as if its a whole new day for lung transplantation, said Dr. Cynthia Herrington, a surgeon at the University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, in Minneapolis. Its amazing.

For the remainder of the story, see today's New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/health/24lung.html?hp&ex=1159070400&en=2c5618da91f0bc64&ei=5094&partner=homepage
strayze

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Greg, Thank you very much for that article. It is as I suspected: the difficult to do transplants will improve with additional time and experience. What could not be accomplished in the past can now be accomplished. That is good news for all.

Severe symptoms 12/99
Dyspnea since '73
ILD by CXRs since '85
CoolGrammaw

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Very encouraging!

I can't wait to meet with my pulmo about my PFT test, but it's not til Dec. 9th. It said I had some "pulmonary parenchymal disorder" and I guess I won't settle
down until I know what I'm dealing with. But if I ever get to the point of needing a transplant, it's good to know that progress is being made.

Kitty

View next topic
View previous topic